- Advertisement -spot_img
26.3 C
Logan City
HomeFeature - Logan StoryHistory of Carbrook's Mail Service

History of Carbrook’s Mail Service

- Advertisement -spot_img

How Carbrook’s Mail Service Came To Be

The first mail service to Gramzow (now known as Carbrook) started in 1879. Mail service 215 required a contractor to ride the Beenleigh-Alberton-Gramzow route twice a week.

“Gramzow became an official receiving station for mail in 1882,”

and it is believed this operated at the school under the management of the first headmaster, Mr Horace Heywood. When he left, Mr Friedrich Stern took on the role.

The responsibility was growing as the Gramzow Receiving Station changed hands. Mrs A Fischer was licenced to sell stamps in 1899 and in 1903, parcels were accepted for mailing.

Following Mrs A Fischer as Postmistress, the Receiving Station transferred into the care of Mr and Mrs August Stern who lived on a farm opposite the school. Young Fred Stern assisted his father by riding his pushbike from Gramzow to Beenleigh with mail six days a week. When World War 1 happened, ill-feelings existed towards the communities established by German immigration. The Stern Family had to relinquish the job of running the Receiving Station.

First, Mr E Downey in 1915, the Mr H J Breusch (headmaster)took on the role in 1917. So, it is assumed that the school once again became involved in the operation of the Receiving Office.

“In 1916, Gramzow became Carbrook”

In 1916, the name of the area was changed from Gramzow (after a village in Prussia, Germany) to Carbrook. Consequently, the school named changed from Gramzow State School to Carbrook State School.

In 1924, the role of running the Receiving Office returned to the safe hands of the Stern Family. Under their home, on the farm, a public telephone was installed.

“The Stern Family ran the Post Office for 42 years”

In contrast to the events of WW1, the Stern Family retained the responsibilities of the Post Office during World War 2. Mrs Daisy Stern was an official observer for the RAAF. Her code name was Roger 2-0. Her job was to identify and report any strange aircraft. Fred Stern, together with others at Carbrook was an Air Raid Warden.

Fred handed the responsibility of the Post Office to his son, Donald, on the first of October, 1948. The Post Office was run by Don and Alice Stern from their home until its official closure on 21st September 1961. On and off, that was 42 years of service from the Stern Families!

Story from ‘Recollections: Stories from Carbrook

- Advertisement -spot_img
Emily Stack
Emily Stack
Editorial Team
- Local Sponsor -spot_img
- Local Sponsor -spot_img
Articles of interest
- Advertisement -spot_img

1 COMMENT

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

X